Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Reflection (bad poetry) Why Did Jesus Curse the Fig Tree?

Why Did Jesus Curse the Fig Tree
- Jonathan Jones (Mark 11:12-14, 21-22)

Reading through the Bible one night
With my son, my pride and joy
I saw something was just not right
With my troubled little boy

Reading from the Gospel of Mark
When Christ cursed the barren tree
He had that look like when the ark
Left all others in the sea.


Why did Jesus curse the fig tree?
Also, why did Grandpa die?
If God loves us, how could this be?
There must be a reason why.

My friend Mikey now has cancer
And Aunt Lilly lost her child
Tell me, Pappa, what’s the answer
How is Jesus meek and mild?

My friends fighting in our classroom
Grown ups fighting in the war
As I lie here in my bedroom
There are things I can’t ignore.

Is God mad or did we do this?
Was that fig tree really bad?
Is there some great point that I miss?
Does God care when I am sad?


Real good questions my sweet scholar
I can see you’re real confused.
Sometimes life can make you holler
When it seems we’ve just been used

It’s OK to not know reasons
It’s OK to question God
For everything there are seasons
Even questions that seem odd.

Sometimes life is just life my son
Sometimes there’s no how’s or why’s
Fig trees like your broken bike chain
Sometimes make us angry guys

Jesus loves us, of this I’m sure
Trees will come and trees will go
Grandpa died ‘cause there was no cure
Not because God didn’t know

Why did Jesus curse that fig tree
Hmm, I guess I don’t know why
Maybe for you to ask of me
Why your Grandpa had to die.

You know what? You can be helpful
With your friend when he feels weak
Love Aunt Lilly when she’s doubtful
We’re the answer that we seek.

You see, my son, we are God’s hands
God’s feet and voice. We do God’s will
When bad things come then life demands
We get to work and not be still.

If there’s one thing you remember
Know God loves you very much
Of God’s family you’re a member
Try to sense God's loving touch

And now that we’ve had our talk
Time for bed my sweet young son
It’s very late; look at the clock
Sleep in peace oh little one.

No comments:

Thirteenth Sermon - Priorities: A reflection on Luke 14:25-28;33

Scriptures: Luke 14:25-28;33   https://bible.oremus.org/?ql=529312427 Jeremiah 18:1- 6   https://bible.oremus.org/?ql=529312820 Psalm 139: ...